Newcomer Ministry Project Core Values
Project Core Values
- Prayerful: We pray that God will give us the hearts to reflect God’s gracious invitation and welcome. It is not our table to which we welcome people – it is God’s table!
- Intentional: We must intentionally nurture a commitment to effective newcomer ministry.
- Relational: Relational ministry is critical. The way to close the back door and empower folks for ministry at the same time is to be in relationship with them!
- Accountable: We are accountable to God, the Gospel, and to each other.
I was a stranger and you welcomed me. Matthew 25:35
The challenge for Episcopal congregations today centers on two key points:
- Complacency: Complacency around newcomer ministry is our prevailing sin. We think of ourselves as a “friendly community” when in reality we are truly just a “community of friends.”
- Action: At the end of the day…our actions speak louder than our words. It is not what we say, teach, or preach….it is what we do! At the end of the day…did we see Christ in the newcomers who walked in our doors? More importantly, did they see Christ in us?