Change Font Size:   A A A

Nov 30, 2011

St. Francis Episcopal Day School Acquires Land for Expansion

St. Francis School Land

The school will renovate the property’s existing
buildings, including the Main House, a replica
of an antebellum home built in 1790.

On Sunday, Dec. 4, 2011, St. Francis Episcopal Day School will celebrate its acquisition of 23 gorgeous acres and its corresponding expansion plans with a family Christmas party and a property blessing by the Rt. Rev. Andrew Doyle, Bishop of the Texas.


St. Francis purchased the land at 2300 S. Piney Point Rd. with an eye toward improving and expanding its facilities for Primary School and for Middle School athletics. When master planning determined that the cost of addressing these facility needs on the school’s existing campus was prohibitive, St. Francis’ board of trustees began the search for additional land.


“Our criteria were exacting: We needed property that was large enough to accommodate our present and future needs, was in close proximity to our current campus, fell within our price range, and ultimately ‘felt’ like St. Francis,” said Head of School Susan B. Lair, Ph.D. “Our board searched for four years, and I can joyfully say that the beautiful site of our new South Campus is a perfect fit.”


Less than two miles from the school’s current campus in Piney Point Village, the property eventually will house St. Francis’ Primary School program; two regulation athletic fields for use by Middle School field hockey, soccer, football and lacrosse teams; a field house featuring a gymnasium, wrestling room, ballet studio and hall of fame; and a creek-side classroom. The school will also incorporate into its expansion plan the property’s five existing buildings: The Main House, the Richmond House, the Barrister’s House, the Storehouse and the Carriage House.

  • A replica of an antebellum plantation home built in 1790 in Natchez, Miss., the Main House will be home to the school’s administrative offices; parent and board meeting rooms; alumni parlor; and historical library.
  • The Richmond House, built in the 1850s in Fort Bend County, TX, and later moved to its present location where it was restored to showcase early American antiques, will serve as a Lower and Middle School academic building.
  • The Barrister’s House was used for many years in private law practice by a previous owner and will house the satellite admissions office.
  • The Carriage House will be a security station and the Storehouse will be used for on-site storage.   


St. Francis Episcopal Day School is preparing to launch the silent phase of a capital campaign to fund the building and renovation projects on its new South Campus.


For more information about St. Francis Episcopal Day School’s new South Campus, please call Joy Hilley, director of marketing and communications, at 713-458-6148.


About St. Francis Episcopal Day School:

St. Francis Episcopal Day School is a parish day school of St. Francis Episcopal Church. More than 800 students from 18-months-old through the eighth grade benefit from a St. Francis education, which embodies academic rigor, creative expression, character development, and an emphasis of nurturing the individual. Susan B. Lair, Ph.D., is the head of school.