St. Francis, College Station
St. Francis Episcopal Church
1101 Rock Prairie Rd.
College Station, Texas
The Rev. John Williams, Rector
As one of the churches in the Diocese of Texas where our current bishop served, St. Francis, College Station, continues to reflect the values of its patron saint, encouraging deeper understanding of creation theology and a call to serve others in the name of Christ.
St. Francis held its first worship service in Advent, 1983. The Rev. Jeff Schiffmayer served as vicar and the congregation met in schools for five years before moving to its present six-acre campus. The building, designed by parishioner Jim Holster, won awards from the American Institute of Architects for its open and inviting configuration.
Bishop Andy Doyle was appointed vicar in 1997 and served until September, 2003, when he was named Canon to the Ordinary for Bishop Don Wimberly. Bishop Doyle was elected as the ninth Bishop of Texas in 2008. Subsequently he was elected and then consecrated as the ninth Bishop of Texas.
The Rev. John Williams became vicar in 2006 and after 26 years as a mission (with a subsidy from the diocese), St. Francis was granted parish status at the diocese’s 2009 annual Council, making Williams the first rector of the parish.
Members of St. Francis have been instrumental in establishing and incorporating the Brazos Food Bank and the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity. They extend the ministry of the parish beyond the walls of the church, participating in numerous local and global outreach initiatives. St. Francis understands itself to be an incarnational community, seeking to be intentional about their call to extend God’s radical welcome to everyone.